CARMELITE CONVENT & SACRED HEART FATHERS MONASTERY

CARMELITE CONVENT & SACRED HEART FATHERS MONASTERY

On August 20, 1875, ten Carmelite Sisters left their Convent in Pau, France, and traveled to Bethlehem, where they wished to build a new Carmelite Convent. Among them was a native of Palestine - Mariam Baouardy, St. Mary of Jesus Crucified, who chose the location of the Convent on the Hill of David that faces the hill upon which the Church of the Nativity stands. She wanted the Altar of the new Carmelite Convent to be located above the 'Grotto of David’, where according to her, David received the royal anointing from Prophet Samuel. Currently, the cave serves as a tomb for the sisters.

Berthe Dartigaux, who accompanied the sisters on their voyage, sponsored the Church and, in May 1879, returned to Bethlehem to live with the community. The foundation stone was laid in 1876, and the Convent was inaugurated a couple of months later while construction continued. St. Mariam Baouardy died in 1878, before its completion. The Carmelite Sisters live in seclusion and spend their days practicing praying, adoration, and meditation. They also take care of their beautiful gardens and create handmade works. In the same complex is the Betharram Monastery of the Sacred Heart Fathers which was built in 1878. The Convent also has a hospice where guests can stay.

You maybe interested in

SALESIAN CONVENT & CHURCH
SALESIAN CONVENT & CHURCH

The Salesians of Don Bosco came to Bethlehem in 1891 after a call from Fr. Antonio Belloni

THE CATHOLIC SHEPHERDS’ FIELD
THE CATHOLIC SHEPHERDS’ FIELD

While the humble shepherds were grazing their flocks of sheep at that moment,

THE CONVENT OF THE HORTUS CONCLUSUS | SEALED GARDEN
THE CONVENT OF THE HORTUS CONCLUSUS | SEALED GARDEN

It was built by engineers from Bethlehem’s Morcos family in 1901, at the request of Mgr.

The website is created and sponsored by

Copyright © 2024 Bethlehem Gate. All rights reserved. | Developed By Intertech