ST. THEODOSIUS MONASTERY

ST. THEODOSIUS MONASTERY

According to tradition, The Monastery of St. Theodosius, also known in Arabic as “Deir Dosi” and “Ibn Obeid”, stands on the site where the three wise men rested on their way back from visiting the infant Jesus in Bethlehem. Located about 10 km east of Beit Sahour, the entrance to the desert of Judah, it was built on the ruins of the Monastery, which St. Theodosius founded in the year 465 AD. The cave where the wise men rested appears today as one of the main sections of the Monastery.

The Monastery reached its golden age between the fifth and seventh centuries, where it used to contain four churches. The number of monks and nuns living inside the Monastery was around 700, while the ones living in the rituals around it were about 2,500. They were all filled with love, obedience, asceticism and high spirituality.

In addition to the Church where the Divine Liturgy is held, there used to be a theology school with workshops, stables for animals and other facilities, but they did not last due to the Persians’ attacks in 614 A.D., causing the slaughter of 5,000 monks and nuns. But the Monastery returned to the prosperity of the twelfth-century atheists until the Crusaders period during the fifteenth century, when the Monastery was evacuated and became the haven of the tribe of “Ibn Obaid”, the Arabic name.

In 1881 A.D., the director of the Holy Cross School of Theology in Jerusalem bought the ruins of the Monastery from the Bedouins, and in 1896 A.D. the Patriarch of Jerusalem at that time laid the foundation stone of the new Monastery until the current building was inaugurated in 1952 A.D.

Saint Theodosius died in 520 A.D., and his grave now lies in a cave inside the white walls of the Monastery.

The opening hours of the Monastery for believers and visitors is from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm.

You maybe interested in

SALESIAN CONVENT & CHURCH
SALESIAN CONVENT & CHURCH

The Salesians of Don Bosco came to Bethlehem in 1891 after a call from Fr. Antonio Belloni

VIRGIN MARY'S WELL
VIRGIN MARY'S WELL

built by the Prophet Jacob, son of Isaac, son of Abraham, when he lived for a while in Beit Sahour,

CONVENT OF THE BENEDICTINE NUNS OF EMMANUEL
CONVENT OF THE BENEDICTINE NUNS OF EMMANUEL

The congregation of the Benedictine Nuns was established in Medea, Algeria, in 1945.

The website is created and sponsored by

Copyright © 2022 Bethlehem Gate. All rights reserved. | Developed By Intertech