CONVENT OF THE BENEDICTINE NUNS OF EMMANUEL

CONVENT OF THE BENEDICTINE NUNS OF EMMANUEL

The Monastery of the Benedictine Nuns Emmanuel in Bethlehem, an associate at the Melkite Greek Catholic Patriarchate in Jerusalem, is an autonomous Eastern Monastery.

The congregation of the Benedictine Nuns was established in Medea, Algeria, in 1945. In 1954, the Melkite Archbishop of Galilee, Monsignor Georges Selim Hakim, who became the Patriarch Maximos V in 1967, visited the congregation. He wished to establish a monastery of Byzantine rite in the Holy Land to meet the spiritual needs of the Melkite community. The Benedictine Sisters decided to respond to the Archbishop’s call and sent three nuns. A family in Bethlehem offered them a wide field on the side of one of the hills surrounding the cave of the Nativity, with an endless view of the Jordan Valley and the mountains of Moab. The Monastery would take the name Emmanuel meaning’ God is with us.’

In 1963, the first liturgy was celebrated in the Chapel of the Monastery. The foundation period ended with the final approval of the Church on October 15, 1994.

You maybe interested in

THE CREMISAN MONASTERY & WINERY
THE CREMISAN MONASTERY & WINERY

The Cremisan cellars have been in operation since the establishment of the Cremisan Monastery in the ...

MAR SABA MONASTERY
MAR SABA MONASTERY

This Church was dedicated to St. Nicholas and established in 491 AD. The Lord has revealed this ...

THE MILK GROTTO
THE MILK GROTTO

The Church is dated to 1872 and is under the custody of the Franciscans. It is built on previous ...

The website is created and sponsored by

Copyright © 2024 Bethlehem Gate. All rights reserved. | Developed By Intertech