MAR SABA MONASTERY

MAR SABA MONASTERY

Relics of St. Saba the founder:  Saint Saba died in 532 at 93; he was buried in the Monastery’s yard. The relics of Saint Saba were placed in a glass box showing that his body had shrunk a bit. Upon leaving the Holy Land, the Crusaders took his body to Venice, Italy, where he was laid for more than seven centuries before being brought back to his “own place,” the Monastery of Mar Saba, in 1965.

First Church of the Monastery: This Church was dedicated to St. Nicholas and established in 491 AD. The Lord has revealed this Church to St. Saba while still living with his disciples in the caves.

  • The Main Church in the Monastery: It was constructed during the days of St. Saba in 502 A.D. and dedicated in honor of the Annunciation of the mother of God. The relics of Saint Saba are found here.
  • Rocky Hermitage of St. John of Damascus: He had lived here during the eighth century.
  • Justinian Tower: This tower was constructed in the 6th C. A.D. with a height of 18 meters and was used for observation. It contains many old icons, books, and manuscripts that are invaluable and unique.

St. Saba Water Spring: This is found below the Monastery at the bottom of the valley, where there are 385 steps from the Justinian Tower to the very place of the holy spring water. The Lord revealed the spring’s location to St. Saba to give water to his monks, suffering from severe thirst at the time.  

Since the foundation of the Monastery, women have not been allowed to enter the Monastery. There is a small convent nearby where they can stay. The Monastery is known for its harsh and austere monastic life. The monks who live in it are without electricity and water and have no means of communication such as the internet, television or radio. Monks live by olive oil candles at night and drink water from a natural spring.

You maybe interested in

THE CONVENT OF THE HORTUS CONCLUSUS | SEALED GARDEN
THE CONVENT OF THE HORTUS CONCLUSUS | SEALED GARDEN

It was built by engineers from Bethlehem’s Morcos family in 1901, at the request of Mgr.

THE MILK GROTTO
THE MILK GROTTO

The Church is dated to 1872 and is under the custody of the Franciscans. It is built on previous ...

OUR LADY OF FATIMA CHURCH
OUR LADY OF FATIMA CHURCH

The Church, located near the Shepherds’ Field, was founded by the Latin Patriarchate in Jerusalem ...

The website is created and sponsored by

Copyright © 2022 Bethlehem Gate. All rights reserved. | Developed By Intertech